Wednesday, December 9, 2009

a thought on (in)significance

there's a nifty little function on blogger that can be viewed on the top toolbar.  It features the words "next blog" and directs you to just that, viewing the blog that has somehow been positioned next to mine for the moment.  I was clicking that button out of sheer boredom while Southpark reacted shrilly in the background, and I happened across several blogs, all of quite incredible degrees of variation.  With each click to the algorithmically aligned "next blog" I began to feel smaller and smaller. 
I am just one tiny college student's ramblings in the millions of poetry and cooking blogs, thriving like all the rest in the vain hope that maybe, somehow, more people will be blindly lead to my ridiculous collection of words and ideas and find some sort of value in it, be it entertainment or mindless reading or maybe a grain of enlightenment.  And the very worst part of it all?  Even while I recognize the very nature of my demise into the painful vanity and feeble hope that someday I might have a whisper of an audience, I continue to write entries like this one, entries intended for more than mine own eyes.  Even while I come to terms with how pathetic it all is, the vanity gains momentum and the hope becomes less feeble, though still laced with desperation.

1 comment:

Me, Myself and I said...

I don't write for an audience. I write for me. I print my blog[s] - which has caused a movement toward my more family centered blogging and private blogs for the kiddos, but yeah - I blog for me.

If you want an audience you have to network. Get listed places.