Sunday, November 15, 2009

Turn around, Bright Eyes

Today on my enthralling drive to Logan, I decided to follow my kinda weird lasting urge to listen to Bright Eyes.  For a couple days I have been feelin' Conor Oberst's crooning voice and storytelling lyrics, and I was happy when I finally indulged. 
I like to drive home and back with a companion because time seems to speed up.  However I also enjoy driving alone because I get to crank up my music to drown out my poorly sealed doors and the heater; and with the cranked up music comes my cranked up singing.  When I sing while I drive, I like to pretend I know more about music than I actually do.  I like to try to harmonize with whatever is playing- and while sometimes I maybe succeed a little, other times the result is completely horrendous.  Precisely why I keep that little talent to myself.
When I drive alone I also like time I have to mull over anything and everything, my thoughts running wild, jagged circles in my head, roaming free via lack of conversation.  It was within this exchange, while listening to the first song on I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, "The Bottom of Everything", that I had a funny little thought.
The song starts out with narration of, among other things, a plane crash.  Despite the dismal beginning, its rather catchy and upbeat.  Listen to it.
Anyway (oooh noooo, another paragraph!  will it ever cease?! answer: no), I was thinking.  I don't think a plane crash would be the worst way to die.  I mean, think about it.  You were already going on (or coming home from) a trip, so you've likely said goodbye or at least talked to some or all of your loved ones.  I imagine, from the fiery inferno that generally makes up movie plane crashes, your death would be close to immediate.  And then, even though everyone would probably be pretty panicky, at least you wouldn't be alone.  At least when you got to the other side, you'd have this big crowd of people with you, so you'd all be lost together like, "what? go towards the light? okay well that seems pretty wise..." and then maybe you'd all become heavenly friends.  In the song, the guy at the beginning seems to become this instant friend of the girl thats panicking, and I just think that would be a comfort, to have someone like that next to you, even if they were a complete stranger.  Like I said, better than being alone.
I don't know.  The general notion of dying doesn't seem very appealing at all until you're old and decrepit and tired of life.  And it seems nearly every method of dying would suck to a certain degree.
I know I'm not about to go out and rate them.

maybe this post should've had some sort of disclaimer?  WARNING: morbidity ensues.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I love this post! One of my favs so far.